Get more from your workout with a personal trainer! Whether you need a program to get started, a new twist on what you’ve been doing, some expert advice, or a little extra motivation, signing up for personal training could be your ticket to success. Our personal trainers are ready to help you with safe, effective, and proven exercise techniques that will put or keep you on a path to fitness and health. We’ll match you up with a trainer who can best help you meet your specific goals, lifestyle, and schedule.
Private Personal Training (1 person)
- Initial session (90 minutes) $30 for students, $40 for non-students
- Additional sessions (60 minutes) $20 for students, $30 for non-students
Semi-Private Personal Training (2 people)
Bring a friend! The two of you can double your motivation and reduce your costs by training together. Both individuals must complete paperwork prior to the initial appointment.
- Initial session (90 minutes) $45 for students ($22.50/person), $55 for non-students ($27.50/person)
- Additional sessions (60 minutes) $30 for students ($15/person), $40 for non-students ($20/person)
The personal training team offers two free fitness assessment events each semester. The assessments include resting heart rate and blood pressure, circumference measurements, body weight, BMI, body fat % and the opportunity to chat with a personal training about the results.
If you can’t make one of our free events or would like additional information (cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength and/or flexibility) you may schedule a private fitness assessment for $25.
Want to become a Personal Trainer?
Each year, typically over Intersession, the Recreation Center’s personal training staff conducts a course for those interested in obtaining a certified personal trainer certification. Visit the Certifications & Training page for more details.
Personal Training Policies
- Register for personal training in the Recreation Center Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or PDF Document: Personal Training Registration Form (PDF). All paperwork and payment must be completed before an appointment is scheduled. Once all these details are squared away, a trainer will contact you to set up an appointment and to find out more about what you’d like from our services.
- All sessions must be prepaid in advance. Payments are accepted by cash, J-cash, check, or credit (payable to Johns Hopkins University) in the Recreation Center Office.
- Cancellations must be made directly with the trainer no later than 4 hours before your appointment, and may be rescheduled at a more convenient time. Cancellations made less than 4 hours are not refundable.
- In preparation for your training sessions we ask that you arrive wearing clean, movement-oriented clothing and footwear. No jeans, sandals, or boots please. Getting enough rest and adequate hydration will also make your experience more enjoyable. You may want to bring a water bottle along too, but be sure to secure your valuables elsewhere.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment.
- All personal training must take place within the Recreation Center, or otherwise approved campus location. Trainers are not permitted to schedule sessions at private residences.
- Unauthorized or “under the table” training in the Recreation Center is strictly prohibited, and may result in barred status from the building.
- All paid training sessions must be completed within one year of purchase.