Schedule an Appointment
The Pre-Professional Advising Office provides 30-minute advising appointments for full-time undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni of the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering who are seeking careers in healthcare or law.
- Who We Serve
- You may only schedule ONE appointment at a time.
- You may only schedule ONE appointment every FOUR weeks.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late to a pre-professional advising appointment, your appointment will be canceled. Please arrive on time.
To schedule an appointment, please visit Handshake.
Please email us if you did not receive the instructions for making appointments through your Handshake account.
Pre-Professional Advising appointments can be conducted in a few ways, including meetings in-person in the Office of Pre-Professional Advising (Shriver Hall, Suite 030), meetings by telephone, or virtual appointments via Skype or Zoom.
- If you select an in-person appointment, please meet your advisor at Shriver Hall, Suite 030, at your selected time.
- If you select a telephone advising appointment, you are expected to call the Pre-Professional Office, (410)-516-4140, at the time of your appointment and our staff will connect you to your advisor.
- If you select a virtual appointment via Skype or Zoom, please email your advisor to let them know which platform you will be using.
- If you select a Skype appointment, please provide your Skype username. Your advisor will contact you on Skype at your appointed meeting time.
- If you plan to meet via Zoom, the advisor will provide a link to the meeting and you will log in at the scheduled time.
The Pre-Professional Advisors
- Ms. Droscoski, JD, is the Associate Director who advises pre-law, pre-medical, and pre-dental students and alumni.
- Ms. Snydman, MS, is the Interim Director who advises all premedical students, including current students and transfer students, as well as alumni.
It is very important that you develop a relationship with at least one advisor in the Office. In fact, in order to be eligible to eventually receive a Committee Letter when you apply to medical or dental school, you must have a record of advising through the office. Find more information about Committee Letter eligibility requirements.
Pre-Health 101 Group Meetings
- All freshmen and sophomores interested in the health professions (pre-med, pre-dental, physician assistant, nursing, etc.) are required to attend a Pre-Health 101 meeting prior to making their first individual appointment with an advisor. These 45-minute small group sessions are offered in the fall and spring semesters and focus on the qualities and requirements of pre-health students and provide an opportunity for questions and answers.
- Sophomores who previously attended Pre-Health 101 during academic year 2018-2019 are not required to attend another Pre-Health 101 session, and can schedule an individual advising appointment at any time.
- Juniors, seniors, all transfers, and alumni are not required to attend Pre-Health 101, and can schedule an individual advising appointment at any time.
To register for Pre-Health 101:
- Log into Handshake and click “Events” on the top blue bar.
- Click the “Event Search” link under the blue bar.
- Under the “Filters” section on the right side of the page, type Pre-Health 101 in the “Search” box.
- Click on the Pre-Health 101 date and time that works best for your schedule.
- If the date is available, you will see a blue “RSVP for Event” button. Click to register. You will receive an email confirmation from Handshake.
- If the date is already full, please go back to review other possible days and times.
- If you do not see any open dates, please continue checking Handshake, as we will open more dates later in the semester.
Please do not schedule individual appointments until after you have attended Pre-Health 101.
Drop-Ins in the Student Advising Space (Shriver Hall 030)
Pre-Professional drop-in advising hours are for upperclassmen, as well as freshmen and sophomores who have completed Pre-Health 101. During drop-ins you can stop by to get quick questions answered by a Pre-Professional advisor. Drop-in hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 12–1 p.m. for the pring semesters. Students will have ten minutes to speak with an advisor and no more than six students can be accommodated unless time permits.
You may not schedule appointments with more than one advisor in the office to ask the same or similar questions. If we notice that you have scheduled multiple appointments with different advisors within a few weeks of each other, we will contact you to cancel one or more appointments.
If you have questions or challenges scheduling an appointment, please call the Pre-Professional Office at 410-516-4140 or email email@example.com.