Schedule an Appointment
The Pre-Professional Advising Office provides 30-minute advising appointments for full-time undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni of the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering who are seeking careers in healthcare or law.
- Who We Serve
- You may only schedule ONE appointment at a time.
- You may only schedule ONE appointment every FOUR weeks.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late to a pre-professional advising appointment, your appointment will be canceled. Please arrive on time.
To schedule an appointment, please visit: Handshake
Please email us if you did not receive the instructions for making appointments through your Handshake account.
Pre-Professional Advising appointments can be conducted in a few ways, including meetings in-person in the Office of Pre-Professional Advising (300 Garland Hall), meetings by telephone, or virtual appointments via Skype.
- If you select a telephone advising appointment, you are expected to call the Pre-Professional Office at the time of your appointment and the receptionist will connect you to your advisor.
- If you select a Skype appointment, it is your responsibility to email your advisor with your Skype username at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. Your advisor will then connect with you on Skype at your appointed meeting time.
THE PRE-PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS
- Ms. Johnson, JD, is the Director of the Office. She advises all premedical students, including current students and transfer students, as well as alumni. She also advises students in the JUMP program.
- Ms. Droscoski, JD, is the Associate Director who advises pre-law, pre-medical, and pre-dental students and alumni.
- Ms. Snydman, MS, is an Assistant Director who advises all premedical students, including current students and transfer students, as well as alumni.
- Ms. Jensen, MA, is an Assistant Director who advises all premedical students, including current students and transfer students, as well as alumni. In addition, she specializes in advising students interested in an array of health professions including nursing, physician assistant, veterinary medicine, optometry, pharmacy, and naturopathic medicine, among others. She also advises students in the JUMP program.
It is very important that you develop a relationship with at least one advisor in the Office. In fact, in order to be eligible to eventually receive a Committee Letter when you apply to medical or dental school, you must have a record of advising through the office. Find more information about Committee Letter eligibility requirements.
PRE-HEALTH 101 GROUP MEETINGS
- All freshmen and sophomores interested in the health professions (pre-med, pre-dental, physician assistant, nursing, etc.) are required to attend a Pre-Health 101 meeting prior to making their first individual appointment with an advisor. These 45-minute small group sessions are offered in the fall and spring semesters and focus on the qualities and requirements of pre-health students and provide an opportunity for questions and answers.
- Sophomores who previously attended Pre-Health 101 during academic year 2017-2018 are not required to attend another Pre-Health 101 session, and can schedule an individual advising appointment at any time.
- Juniors, seniors, transfers, and alumni are not required to attend Pre-Health 101, and can schedule an individual advising appointment at any time.
- To attend Pre-Health 101, search for Pre-Health 101 under “Events” on Handshake. You must be registered to attend.
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late to a Pre-Health 101 meeting, you will not be permitted to enter the meeting. Please arrive on time.
Pre-professional drop-in advising hours are for upperclassmen, as well as freshmen and sophomores who have completed Pre-Health 101. During drop-ins you can stop by to get quick questions answered by a pre-professional advisor. Drop-in hours are Monday-Thursday from 12:00-1:00 PM during the fall and spring semesters. Students will have ten minutes to speak with an advisor and no more than six students can be accommodated unless time permits.
You may not schedule appointments with more than one advisor in the office to ask the same or similar questions. If we notice that you have scheduled multiple appointments with different advisors within a few weeks of each other, we will contact you to cancel one or more appointments.
If you have questions or challenges scheduling an appointment, please call the Pre-Professional Office at 410-516-4140 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.