Canadian Applicants/Canadian Medical Schools
Canadian Citizens Applying to U.S. Schools
U.S. medical schools vary in terms of whether or not they classify Canadian students as international applicants. Please reference the Association of American Medical College’s (AAMC) Medical School Admission Requirements for each U.S. medical school’s application policy, or contact each medical school’s individual websites for more information.
Canadian Citizens Applying to Canadian Schools
Canada has 17 medical schools, all of which are outlined in the Association of American Medical College’s (AAMC’s) Medical School Admission Requirements. In addition, The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC) publishes the PDF Document: Admission PDF Document: Requirements of Canadian Faculties of Medicine on a yearly basis.
The requirements for Canadian medical schools vary, so be sure to review each school’s criteria for:
- Residency—in-province applicants have a greater chance of acceptance to their region’s medical school
- Language instruction—four of the schools teach in French; the other schools teach in English.
- Course requirements
- Application deadlines
- Letters of recommendation
- Ontario Medical Schools Application Service(OMSAS)—the centralized application service for applying to Ontario Medical Schools.
- Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC)—represents Canada’s 17 faculties of medicine and is the voice of academic medicine in the country.
- Profiles of Canadian Medical Schools
- Wikipedia Guide to Canadian Medical Schools