Recommended Books and More!
Recommended Reading: Books
The following is a list of books selected specifically for students going into health professions. It includes stories of the experiences of health practitioners from their years as students, interns, residents, and practicing doctors and nurses.
- Patients speak out as well; please honor them by learning from their riveting tales.
- Don’t avoid a book just because it’s older—not too long ago, doctors and nurses had to be able to diagnose without depending on instrumentation. Read about how they did that; this is a skill that you will need every day of your professional life.
The catalog links are accessible by anyone; the article links and links to Borrow Direct are for JHU affiliates only.
Have you read a book that made an impression on you, written by or about a medical practitioner or a patient? Please tell us about it!
(We thank Sue Vazakas, MA, MLS, PhD, from the Sheridan Libraries at Johns Hopkins, who consolidated and updated several universities’ lists of recommended readings to create this one.)
To see our complete listing of recommended books, go to Sheridan Libraries Pre-Health at Hopkins page.
Recommended Reading: US New Articles/Blog
Medical School Admissions Doctor, previously written by Veritas Prep’s team of medical school admissions consultants, offers a roundup of expert and student voices in the field to guide prospective students in their pursuit of a medical education. Here is a list of relevant articles:
- Strategies to Select the Right Medical School to Attend
- 6 Questions to Ask Your Premed Adviser
- Match MCAT Prep to Your Learning Style
- Make a Med School Application, Interview Stand Out With Storytelling
- Explore a Medical Career in Health Care Information Technology
- Weigh 2 Options After a Safety Medical School Acceptance
- 7 Ways to Manage Medical School Interview Burnout
- 7 Ways to Avoid Sloppy Medical School Applications
- 3 Tips to Help Prepare for Physics Questions on the New MCAT
- Local Public Health a Career Path for Medical Students
- Tips for Selecting the Right Medical School Curriculum
- 3 Types of Students Who Should Consider Medical School Abroad
- Get Advice for Women Interested in Entering Medicine
- Learn How Medical Schools Weigh GPA, MCAT
- Note These Red Flags When Touring Medical Schools
- M.D.-Ph.D. Programs Balance Research, Medicine
- Boost Medical School Prep With Undergrad Courses in Other Fields
- Shine on Medical School Applications Without a Premed Major
- Use Team Activities to Build Medical School Skills
- What Late Medical School Applicants Need to Know
- 4 Attributes to Demonstrate on Your Primary Medical School Essay
- Avoid Common Mistakes on the Medical School Personal Statement
- Ask 3 Questions When Deciding Whether to Retake the MCAT
- 3 Questions to Help Premed Students Develop an Undergraduate Niche
- Follow a Blueprint to a Successful Physician Shadowing Experience