Summer Research, Internship, and Employment Listings
There are many exciting summer opportunities in health-related fields. Most programs have application deadlines in January, February, and March. Below are links to a large number of schools and programs that offer summer research and internship opportunities to undergraduates:
- AAMC Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- AAMC MD/PhD Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- RIT Summer Programs/Co-ops Page
- Swarthmore College Health Sciences Office Summer Opportunities
- Columbia University Summer Internships in Biology
- Columbia University Pre-MD/Dent/Vet/MD-PhD/Health Programs
- Center for Disease Control Summer Employment Opportunities
- Tulane University All Pre-Health Summer Internships/Programs
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU’s)
- Public Health Studies Applied Experiences
This is not an exhaustive list and we encourage you to explore the web, visit the Life Design Lab (formerly Career Center), and to set up an appointment with an advisor in the Pre-Professional Office.
Summer Opportunities for Students from Groups Underrepresented in Medicine
Some excellent websites for disadvantaged and underrepresented minority students interested in health careers, internship opportunities, scholarships, are listed below. We would first like to single out three that are of particular relevance for Johns Hopkins students from groups underrepresented in medicine.
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP, formally SMDEP)
- The Leadership Alliance (SR-EIP)
- JHSOM Summer Internship Program (SIU)
Check out these compilations of Summer Programs directed to students from groups underrepresented in the health professions:
- NAAHP’s Listing of Summer Opportunities for Disadvantaged and Minority Students
- AAMCs Summer Enrichment and Pipeline Programs database resource
- Clark University’s Minority Applicant website
- Boston University’s List of Summer Enrichment Programs
- Swarthmore College’s Summer Opportunities website
- Brown University’s Summer Opportunities for Students from Backgrounds Underrepresented in the Health Professions
- Columbia University’s Summer Programs webpage
- Northwestern University’s Summer Programs webpage
Again, this is not an exhaustive list and we encourage you to explore the web and to set up an appointment with an advisor in the Pre-Professional Office.
Shadowing Experiences During the Summer
During the summer, students are encouraged to contact physicians, PhD’s, and other health care professionals directly to obtain shadowing experience. In addition, students can peruse the JHU employment page or the Life Design Lab for possible internship opportunities. We recommend that you go to the Clinical Exposure/Experience page on this website for more information and tips!
The two-credit “Semester Tutorials” that the Pre-Professional Advising Office offers, as well as non-credit Intersession Clinical Rotations, are not offered during the summer.