Letters of Recommendation
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Letters of recommendation are a critical element in the health professions application process. Schools value the perspectives of people who have observed your work and can speak to your abilities and personality. For complete information about letters of recommendation, please review Guide Two on the Pre-Professional Advising website. In Guide Two, you will get information on:
- How to request letters of recommendation
- How to save or store letters of recommendation
- Frequently Asked Questions about letters of recommendation.
Johns Hopkins University applicants to medical and dental schools can store individual letters of recommendation in veCollect. In using this online service, letter authors submit letters of recommendation (on department letterhead, with their written signature) electronically to veCollect. Complete information about veCollect can be found on our website, under Advising Guides.
IMPORTANT NOTES regarding veCollect:
- Juniors, seniors, and alumni applying to medical or dental schools may open a veCollect account at any time.
- Letters of recommendation in veCollect may only be used for the pre-medical and pre-dental application process when receiving a Committee Letter; letters may not be stored in veCollect for other graduate programs, internships, jobs, etc.
- If you delay your application and/or reapply to a later cycle and are no longer eligible for a Committee Letter (please read our Alumni Policy), you will not have access to your letters of recommendation. In addition, if you are applying but miss the HPCA deadline and therefore cannot obtain a Committee Letter, you will not have access to your letters of recommendation.
- Please ask your letter writers to save copies of your recommendations on their computers; they should not give you a copy of the letters for your files or your computer.
- When Johns Hopkins University alumni matriculate to medical or dental school, their veCollect files are deleted. In addition, when Johns Hopkins University alumni are no longer eligible for a Committee Letter, their veCollect files are deleted.