Allopathic Medicine (M.D.)
According to MedTerms Dictionary, allopathic medicine is defined as “The system of medical practice which treats disease by the use of remedies which produce effects different from those produced by the disease under treatment. M.D.s practice allopathic medicine. The term “allopathy” was coined in 1842 by C.F.S. Hahnemann to designate the usual practice of medicine (allopathy) as opposed to homeopathy, the system of therapy that he founded based on the concept that disease can be treated with drugs (in minute doses) thought capable of producing the same symptoms in healthy people as the disease itself.”
Students interested in pursuing an M.D. degree need to complete a number of course requirements. These requirements are outlined thoroughly in PDF Document: Guide One: Pre-Med and Pre-Health Planning at JHU.
The best web resources for students interested in an M.D. are found through the Association of American Medical Colleges’ student page.
Is a medical career right for me? Consider: What kind of future appeals to you? Do you want challenges, opportunities, a chance to make a difference? Do you have an inquisitive mind? Are you interested in science and how the body works? More questions to ask yourself:
- Do I care deeply about other people, their problems, and their pain?
- Do I enjoy helping people with my skills and knowledge?
- Do I enjoy learning, gaining new understanding?
- Do I often dig deeper into a subject than my teacher requires?
- Do I understand the value of learning beyond just making good grades?
- Am I interested in how the human body functions?
- Am I intrigued by the ways medicine can be used to improve life?
If you answered “Yes” to most of these questions, chances are you have the right kind of personality for a medical career.
The Association of American Medical College’s “Aspiring Docs” program provides inspiration and resources so anyone can aspire to be a physician. Here are the AAMC’s “Top Resources”:
- The Pre-Med Navigator (a monthly email that includes relevant information, resources, tools, tips, and important dates for pre-med students at every stage of their journey to medical school)
- Fact sheets on preparing to apply
- Aspiring Docs Diaries blog
- Post-baccalaureate Premedical Programs
- Medical School Admission Requirements
- PDF Document: Getting into Medical School