There are several possible timeframes for applying to medical school, and each of them depends on the strength of your candidacy at the time of your application.
- Applying junior year means you will enter medical school the fall after graduating from JHU.
- Applying senior year includes a bridge year, and you will enter medical school in fall of the following year (e.g., submitting an application in summer 2023 for matriculation to medical school in fall 2024).
- Applying after several years of work/other experience(s).
Application Timeline Video (coming soon)
Steps to Consider
In the fall semester before you apply:.
- View the recording of the Applicant Information Session (available in late November/early December; distributed via email to juniors, seniors, and alumni.)
- Think about your plan for the mCAT, if you have not already taken it.
January through March of the year you apply:
- Begin the Health Professions Application (HPA) through relevant portal, track your document submissions, and review all announcements from the Pre-Professional Office. (Specific information about beginning the HPA will be sent via email early December.)
- Submit the HPA by the deadline. We do not accept late submissions!
- Draft your personal statement.
- Continue reading all email/HPA/Survey Monkey Apply (SMA) announcements.
- The American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS), and other relevant applicant services will become available online.
- First date that you can submit your applications to AMCAS, AACOMAS, or AADSAS (Associated American Dental Schools Application Service). Apply early! We suggest submitting applications no later than the first week of June.
July through August:
- You will begin receiving secondary applications in early July. Try to return them within a few weeks. The sooner you submit your secondary applications, the better chance you will have at securing earlier interviews.
- The Pre-Professional Office begins submitting Committee Letters and individual letters of evaluation to medical schools in mid-July, continuing into late August.
- Prepare for interviews.
- Interviews at most medical and dental schools begin.
- First acceptance decisions for schools with rolling admissions.
- October 15: The Johns Hopkins University Health Professions Committee Process and application cycle closes. Completed primary applications and all other supporting documents must be uploaded to the Canvas by this date.
Late February of the following year:
- Interviews end.
- Communicate your acceptances with relevant programs or begin thinking about re-applying.