There are several possible timeframes for applying to medical school and each of them depends on how strong you are as a candidate at that point. The main three timeframes are:
- Applying junior year and going directly to medical school the fall after graduation
- Applying senior year, having a bridge year, and then going to medical school the next fall
- Applying after several years of work/other experience
Regardless of when you apply to medical or dental school, here are the steps to consider:
The fall before you are applying:
- Set up a veCollect account to collect your letters of recommendation.
- Attend Applicant Kick Off Session in November or listen to the podcast.
The winter/spring of the year you apply:
- Set up your account on the Blackboard Application Management System.
- See the Applicant Checklist in Blackboard. This checklist outlines all of the steps that you will be taking as an applicant through the Health Professions Committee Process.
- Complete the online Health Professions Committee Application (HPCA).
- Submit your HPCA. The deadline is typically late March or early April.
Early May of the year you apply
- The American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS), go online for you to begin completing. This is your primary application to medical or dental school.
Early June of the year you apply
- First date that you can submit your applications to AMCAS, AACOMAS, or AADSAS (Associated American Dental Schools Application Service). APPLY EARLY!!!
- After you submit your AMCAS application, you submit to the Pre-Prof Office (1) a copy of your AMCAS Letter ID form and (2) a copy of your AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS. We then submit your Committee Letter plus all of your individual letters of recommendation to the medical schools.
Mid-summer through December
- You will begin receiving secondary applications in early July. Try to return them within a few weeks. The sooner you submit your secondary applications, the better chance you will have at securing earlier interviews.
Early to mid-September
- Interviews at most medical and dental schools begin.
- Earliest acceptance decisions go out to students for schools with rolling admissions.
March/April of the following year
- Interviews end.
- The last day students can hold multiple acceptances to medical schools.