There are several possible timeframes for applying to medical school, and each of them depends on the strength of your candidacy at the time of your application.
- Applying junior year means you will enter medical school the fall after graduating from JHU.
- Applying senior year includes a bridge year, and you will enter medical school in fall of the following year (e.g., submitting an application in summer 2020 for matriculation to medical school in fall 2021).
- Applying after several years of work/other experience(s).
Regardless of when you apply to medical or dental school, here are the steps to consider…
In the fall semester before you apply:
- Create a veCollect account (See the Pre-Prof Advising Guides website ) and begin requesting letters of evaluation.
- View the recording of the Applicant Information Session (available in late November/early December; distributed via email to juniors, seniors, and alumni.)
January through March of the year you apply:
- Open a Blackboard account to find the Health Professions Committee Application (HPCA), track your document submissions, and review all announcements from the Pre-Professional Office. (Specific information about opening a Blackboard account will be sent via email to juniors, seniors, and alumni.)
- Submit the HPCA by the deadline. We do not accept late submissions!
- Draft your personal statement.
- Continue reading all Blackboard announcements.
- The American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) become available online. These are your primary/centralized applications to medical school.
- First date that you can submit your applications to AMCAS, AACOMAS, or AADSAS (Associated American Dental Schools Application Service). Apply early! We suggest submitting applications no later than the first week of June.
July through August:
- You will begin receiving secondary applications in early July. Try to return them within a few weeks. The sooner you submit your secondary applications, the better chance you will have at securing earlier interviews.
- The Pre-Professional Office begins submitting Committee Letters and individual letters of evaluation to medical schools in mid-July, continuing into late August.
- Prepare for interviews.
- Interviews at most medical and dental schools begin.
- First acceptance decisions for schools with rolling admissions.
- October 15: The Johns Hopkins University Health Professions Committee Process and application cycle closes. Completed primary applications and all other supporting documents must be uploaded to the Blackboard by this date.
Late February of the following year:
- Interviews end.
- April 15: Applicants must narrow their selection(s) to no more than three medical schools.
- April 30: Applicants must choose the medical school to which they plan to matriculate.